Thursday, April 26, 2012

POEM IN YOUR POCKET DAY

Troy's Work Table wandered the streets of downtown Puyallup beginning at 6:00 a.m. today, trying to hand out small booklets of his own poetry.  The commuters of the Sounder train were having none of it.

Unlike the teens of Puyallup, who were willing to at least listen to what World Book Night was about, their parents and aunts and uncles and neighbors were rather reluctant to find out about Poem in Your Pocket Day.

TWT was consistently rejected by one person after another.  Most at least feigned some sort of response, although a few people actually just stared at me as though I was a ghost, or as though they hadn't really heard me.

I left a few copies on the counter of the post office, at the return boxes of the library, and in the alternative newsweekly boxes.  Then I licked my wounds and went home to get ready for work.

No comments: